Direct Support Professional Talent Acquisition
Direct Support Professional
ABOUT THE CAREER:
A Direct Support Professional (DSP) is someone who assists “people who need support to lead self-directed lives and participate fully in their communities” (NADSP).
In other words, DSPs provide services for adults with intellectual and/or developmental disabilities.
DSPs enhance the quality of people's lives through person-centered care in a variety of settings: residential, supported employment, and civic engagement opportunities.
DSPs create opportunities for individuals to thrive.
AS A DSP, YOU WILL:
- Create opportunities for people to achieve their personal goals and develop life skills
- Ensure healthy and safe environments while developing strong relationships of trust and mutual respect
- Enjoy social outings, art and crafts, seasonal celebrations, cooking lessons, musical exploration and more
- Make a positive difference in your community!
CORE JOB DUTIES INCLUDE:
- Assist with as little or as much care as the person needs
- Adhere to the Code of Ethics
- Learn new methods of communication to meet needs
- Maintain schedule and document/report interactions
HOW TO BECOME A DSP:
- Search DSP Job Openings
- Fill out a DSP Job Application
- Contact Employer
- Complete Criminal/Abuse Background Checks
- Complete Accredited Training with Employer (MANDT, Medication Aide, Basic Life Support, Core Competency Training, etc.)
- Learn about the DSP Career